We have been using the Hohem gimbal stabilizer for smartphone for quite some time now and we are totally impressed with it. The timelapse photography, slow motion, and beauty retouching are our favorite features. We are quite surprised with it because we hadn’t expected so much from such an inexpensive gimbal stabilizer.
Click to View Transcription of Video
Name: Hohem 3-Axis gimbal stabilizer for smartphones
Features: lightweight and portable, foldable, works with user-friendly Hohem pro app, anti-shake algorithm for stabilization, one-click operation
Pros: affordable, works as expected, single-hand use, comes with tripod stand and remote for hands-free use.
Cons: requires you to download and register with their app, gives occasional glitches
Our Rating: 4/5
Full Written Review:
These days, most smartphones are equipped with optical image stabilization (OIS) and electronic image stabilization (EIS) features. Although they are capable of capturing better photographs and videos, they still can’t beat the quality of professional cameras. The stabilization feature of most phones is pretty basic and doesn’t really do a good job in covering up unexpected movements.
If you want it to shoot stable and high-quality videos of photographs you have two choices; either buy an expensive $200 camera and carry it with you wherever you go or buy a compact gimbal stabilizer so you can use your phone to shoot quality images and photos.
Gimbal stabilizers can be expensive but there are a few economical and equally good options. One such product that might have come across is the Hohem 3-Axis gimbal stabilizer. This stabilizer offers superior stabilization and a number of shooting modes so you can shoot professional-quality videos for your website or Vlog or corporate presentations.
Being a Chinese product, it has a few minor flaws but it does a pretty good job. We highly recommend it and do not hesitate to declare it as one of the best smartphone gimbals.
Here are some more details about it:
Key features and specifications of Hohem iSteady 3-Axis Gimbal Stabilizer
- Weight: 0.57 lb
- Has a foldable design so you can conveniently carry it in your pocket or bag
- It is a 3-Axis gimbal i.e. it can pan (320 degree), tilt (270 degree), and roll (320 degree)
- Compatibility: ideal for iPhone 11/Xs Max/Xs/X, Samsung Galaxy S10e/s10 plus/Note 10, and popular Huawei models. Also compatible with all phones that are 0.4 in /11 mm thick and 2.2-3.5 width
- Has a brushless motor and iSteady anti-shake feature that helps give you crispy, smooth, and clear pics and videos irrespective of your position.
- Has a 2000mAh Li-battery that can run up to 8 hours
- Has a single button for rotating the camera
- Can be used with one-hand
- Comes with a tripod stand for live streaming or being used as a phone stand
- No assembly required.
- Comes with a storage pouch and a wrist strap
The handle of this gimbal stabilizer is made of polycarbonate plastic. There are no ergonomic grips or contouring. We have used it for many hours now and we didn’t even feel the need for them. However, if you are using it on rocky terrain, you may have to be a bit careful while holding it.
Along with multifunctional buttons, the handle also has 3 LED lights to indicate the battery percentage and one LED light to indicate the Bluetooth status.
If you have large hands, you might find the handle a bit short. In that case, you can use the Mini tripod to extend its length. The pivoting arm that holds the phone is the one that can be folded in half when not in use.
Ease of use
The Hohem iSteady X gimbal does feel a bit flimsy because it is made of plastic. However, none of the buyers have mentioned durability issues such as the parts breaking off. It isn’t one of the smallest smartphone gimbals we have seen but it is small enough to fit in your pocket or purse.
We admire the idea of adding a wrist strap to it. It helps minimize the risk of the gimbal slipping out of your hand along with your phone in it.
The Hohem 3-Axis iSteady X is pretty easy to use. There are buttons on the handles that let you change the orientation of your phone automatically. But, it requires you to download and register with the Hohem Pro smartphone app. Unless you register yourself and activate the gimbal, you won’t be able to use it. Now, Hohem is a Chinese company, and many of us wouldn’t want to share our details with the manufacturer. However, registration has become a standard norm with almost every product. We can’t really avoid it.
The app is quite user-friendly and has numerous tutorials that can help you learn how to make the most use of this gimbal.
- The tripod comes with a remote control, so you can start or stop shooting from a distance. Excellent for shooting professional videos, Vlogs, and for video calls. Perfect for everyday content creators.
- Can handle most phones with their cases.
- Provides a decent amount of stability and smoothness to your videos and photos.
- The numerous shooting modes can help you shoot professional-quality photos and videos without actually buying an expensive professional-grade camera.
- You can shoot with hand gestures too. Great option if you have lost the remote.
- The face recognition feature needs improvement. It picks up the closest face or the best-represented face. There is no way you can lock a face of your choice. If you are shooting in a crowd, this could get a bit irritating.
- Some buyers have stated that the tilt function is very limited. Don’t expect it to bend far up or down.
- A few buyers have stated that you need to spend some time understanding the functioning of the app. If you don’t do it right, your recorded videos may not be saved. Such issues are rare though but you must know that if you aren’t tech-savvy, you will have to try it a few times before you start trusting it for professional or important use.
Things to note:
- Hohem 3-Axis gimbal stabilizer doesn’t come charged. You have to charge it before using. Many buyers thought they had received a defective product but after charging, it was working perfectly.
- Many buyers, in their review, have stated that the gimbal constantly shuts down and doesn’t work. This happens when you don’t unlock all the motion motors. There are three motion motors and you need to unlock all of them even though you don’t want to use them. If you fail to do so, the device will not connect and won’t work.
- This is an inexpensive product, so it will occasionally give glitches. Some buyers have stated that it could start rotating on its own. If you face such an issue, just restart it.
Our Rating: 4/5
Hohem 3-Axis gimbal stabilizer has received 4.2 star rating from more than 2500 reviews. Unquestionably, it is a great product. Plus, being inexpensive, it is totally worth trying.